Thursday, May 2, 2013

35 Year Old Charged In Stabbing Death

Police speak to woman who says
victim is her brother
Thunder Bay police have charged a 35 year old city man in connection with Wednesday's stabbing death of 30 year old Travis Cutfeet.   Police say Cutfeet was stabbed Wednesday afternoon around 5:20 in the city's south downtown and May and Violet Streets.  Police say he died at the scene.   Charged with second degree murder is Shawn Henderson.

Hate Crime Awareness Campaign Launched

Thunder Bay's Crime Prevention Council has launched a Hate Crime Awareness Campaign. It includes billboards, radio ads, and posters in bus terminals. Crime Prevention Council Coordinator Amy Siciliano believes the campaign will help to prevent hate crimes. The campaign will also be launched in the city's schools this fall.

Disaster Relief Sends Out Cheques

The Disaster Relief Committee is hopeful the Provincial Government will come to the table with more money for flood relief claims. Cheques were sent out over the weekend for 75 percent of what people put claims in for. Chair Wayne Fletcher expects they'll be able to pay out the remaining 25 percent or more down the road. Fletcher says they could only pay out 75 percent right now and they felt it was important to get the money into the community.

Mining Accident Kills Worker

The Ministry of Labour is investigating a fatality at the Wesdome Eagle River gold mine near White River. Spokesperson Matt Blajer says a worker was buried in a "Muck pile" and when recovered was found dead. Blajer says they'll be looking at what happened and what safety procedures were taken in the incident.

United Way Thunder Bay Gets New Chair

Walter Flazsa has been announced as United Way Thunder Bay's Campaign Chair for 2013. Flazsa joined the Board of the directors for the United Way Thunder Bay in 1999. The United Way Fall fundraising campaign will begin at their campaign breakfast held on September 12th.

It's Youth Week

Thunder Bay is celebrating youth week.  Youth week is a week dedicated to celebrating and empowering youth within the community.  Program Supervisor Kim Baskin says it's an opportunity to help promote youth to be involved and engaged in the community, focusing on positive growth.  They raised the youth flag at city hall yesterday morning.

MS Society Launches Fundraisers

Renco Foods is going to help collect money for the local chapter of the MS Society.  Chair Linda Adamson says the grocery store chain will ask for donations starting today.  The MS Society will also be selling carnations at local outlets as part of their annual fundraiser.

City Hosts Lifeguard Championships

The Canada Games Complex will be hosting the National Lifeguard Championships this weekend.  Teams from across the country will be participating.  Opening Ceremonies will be held on Saturday morning at 11:30 and events will take place on Saturday and Sunday in the pool area.

Masters Student Speaks In The Fort

Small business owners in northwestern Ontario are being encouraged to work closer together. Lakehead University Masters student Nicki Youroukas  says it was something she found lacking after studying small business perceptions of tourism in the Nipigon-Red Rock area. She says they know that communities need to diversify and they know tourism can help.  Youroukas presented her study to members of the Fort Frances Chamber of Commerce this week

Chamber Hopes Budget Addresses Mining

The Thunder Bay Chamber of Commerce will be watching today's budget hoping it will address the area's top issues.   President Charla Robinson says it's important the government recognize mining development in the region and the skilled jobs that are needed to go with it.   Robinson says the mining industry has the potential to keep the provincial coffers in the black.

Soapbox Races Back For 10th Year

The George Jeffrey Children's Foundation is working along side Superior North EMS, and Form Architecture this year to promote the 10th annual Soapbox Races.  EMS Spokesperson Ryan Ross says they're going to be organizing volunteers for the event and will also have several soapboxes in the race.  This year's fundraising goal is 30 thousand dollars and the annual event is taking place at Waverly Park Hill June 8th and 9th.