Tuesday, February 26, 2013
Jury Roll Recommendations Out
A report on ensuring proper aboriginal representation on provincial jury
rolls is out and it includes 17 key recommendations. Former Supreme
Court of Justice Frank Iacobucci released his report in Thunder Bay
today after meeting with people from 32 First Nation Communities, and
Aboriginal Leadership. Key goals include providing cultural training for
government officials working in the justice system who have contact
with First Nations people and creating a First Nation advisory group to
the Attorney General.
High School Sports May Soon Return
High School sports in Thunder Bay could start back up again before March Break but it will depend on volunteer teachers and students willing to participate. Activities Director Dave Pineau says he held a meeting yesterday with members of the Triple-S Double-A and feels they can still piece together a Winter schedule and hopefully have a full Spring season of athletics for high school students.
No Changes To Electoral Boundaries
No changes to the federal ridings of Kenora and Thunder Bay-Rainy River are
being recommended in the final report of the Federal Electoral Boundaries
Commission. The report was tabled in the House of Commons
yesterday. The Commission had proposed moving Lake of the Woods township
from Thunder Bay-Rainy River to Kenora. But its report, the Commission
states that after public hearings, it's assumption the area had stronger ties to
Kenora than Thunder Bay or Fort Frances was mistaken.
Kenora Murder Trial Winding Down
The jury is expected to begin deliberations today in the second degree murder
trialof Kenneth Ivall. Justice Terrance Platana has been working on his final charge to the jury for the past four days and will present his instructions this morning. This after the crown and the defense presented their final arguments last week in the eight week long trial. Ken Ivall has been charged in connection to the death of Ed Wilson the early morning hours of March 21st, 2009. His co-accused, Angela Duchesne pleaded guilty to manslaughter midway through the trial.
Future In Farming?
Thunder Bay's economic future could lie in farming. That's the opinion
of Food Activist Wayne Roberts who toured area farms yesterday and spoke
with local residents this morning. Roberts says this area has rich
farming land and will be heavily relied on when global warming takes
effect in Southern Ontario. Meanwhile, City Council received a report
last night claiming area public institutions including themselves spend
6.4 million dollars on food a year and how they could redirect some of
that money to local farmers.
Concealing Body Charges Laid
Provincial Police are now charging a 34 year old Manitouwadge woman with
concealing the body of a child. O.P.P. say the charges stem from an
investigation that started on March 1st, 2011 when they attended the
Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre in response to a woman
having been admitted to hospital under unusual circumstances. The woman
is to appear in provincial court on March 27th. Meanwhile O.P.P. are
still seeking further information from the public but are not commenting
further about the case as it is now before the courts.
Monday, February 25, 2013
Council Approves Letter
City Council feels Tbay Tel has met its obligations to consult the public in relation to installing a cell phone tower on Wardrope Avenue. The City is sending the Federal Government a letter saying the company did its job in talking to the public about their proposed antenna. Councillor Trevor Giertuga was the only one to vote against sending the letter to the Feds.
Boys & Girls Club Tax Report Coming
City Staff will be coming back to Council with funding options for the Boys & Girls Club and it's property tax problem. Council voted in favour Monday of studying funding options for the group including using money from the City's Charitable Rebate Program. Councillor Iain Angus says they need more information before they can make a decision on whether to help the club out. The charity is facing taxes for the first time since the Municipal Property Tax Corporation didn't exempt their new Windsor Street property.
Eat Local
City Council is chewing the fat after receiving a report on local food production. The report claims the City, school boards, University and College spend 6.4 million dollars on food annually and if they increase buying local food by 2 percent it would put 83-thousand dollars in local farmers bank accounts. The report investigates how the public sector could use more local food in their cafeterias instead of buying produce from other parts of Ontario.
UAS Wants City Funding For 2013
City Council is considering funding the Urban Aboriginal Strategy for another year. The group spoke to Councillors Monday night and asked for 90-thousand dollars in financial support. UAS Spokesperson Frances Wesley says they would be devastated if they didn't get the cash. City staff will be bringing back a report on funding the organization at a future meeting.
LU Students Involved In Sit In
A group of Lakehead University students are protesting changes to the curriculum at the new Northern Ontario Law School. Spokesperson Sebastian Murdock Gibson says they're upset the school has decided to drop an aboriginal learning program. The four students are camping out outside of the President's Office at LU.
Arson Cause Of Weekend Fire
City fire inspectors are now certain that the weekend fire on Finlayson was deliberatly set. Eric Nordlund says they went through the burned out shell and determined it was vandalism arson. Nordlund says that a flammable liquid was poured on the main floor of the vacant house. Meantime Nordlund says there is nothing to connect this fire to the one the week before on Cumming Street.
Teachers Ponder Return To Extra Activities
Local public high school teachers appear ready to get back to reviving
extra curricular activities. Paul Caccamo of the teachers union says
it's the result of what he calls positive developments with the new
Liberal government, but he warns not to expect a full return to
activities as some may still harbour some resentments. Caccamo says it's
still up to individual teachers whether to participate or not.
City First For Violence Against Women
Thunder Bay is directly named in a new Statistics Canada report that is out today concerning violence against women. Executive Director Debbie Zweep of the Faye Peterson Transition House says it shows the number of violent crimes against women in this city is the worst in the country. She says it matches what her women's shelter is seeing. Zweep is trying to work with her colleagues and make a formal presentation in front of city council in the very near subject.
Cataract Surgeries On Hold
Cataract surgeries at the Regional Hospital are postponed until April the first. Officials say it's because the facility performed more surgeries that they were funded for so they must wait until the new government year to begin the cycle again. So far this fiscal year there have been almost 18 hundred and 20 cataract surgeries , almost 40 more than they were allowed by government funding.
OSISKO Nears Study Completion
Osisko Mining is preparing to complete a key document on its gold
project near Atikokan. President Sean Roosen says they're about 85 per
cent complete on a feasibility study. Roosen says the document could be
complete within the next six months.
Mayor Seeks Financial Help
The town of Fort Frances is seeking some financial help from the
province to offset the tax rebate to Resolute Forest Products. Mayor Roy
Avis intends to broach the idea with Municipal Affairs Minister Linda
Jeffrey while they're at the joint meeting of Ontario Good Road
Association and the Rural Ontario Municipalities Association meetings in
Toronto this week.
Food for Thought
The City of Thunder Bay, in partnership with the District Health unit and the local Federation of Agriculture will be hosting a talk about everyone's favourite subject; food. World famous "food activist" Wayne Roberts tonight from 7 pm to 9 pm in the Baggage Arts Building at Prince Arthur's Landing.
Man Charged With Stunt Driving
O.P.P. In Dryden are charging a 22 year old Manitoba man with stunt
driving. He was caught doing 50 kilometres an hour over the posted speed
limit on Highway 17 in Machin Township. The vehicle has been impounded
for a mandatory seven days and the man is facing a court appearance in
Dryden to answer to the charges.
Hackner Falls Short In Senior Finals
The "Iceman" fell just short. Al Hackner's Thunder Bay rink lost 6-4 to
Bruce Munro of Idylwilde in the final of the Northern Ontario Senior
Men's Curling Championship yesterday in Geraldton. Munro now moves on to
represent Northern Ontario at nationals next month in P.E.I.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)









